UPDATE FROM LOS ANGELES COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PARKS & RECREATION ON CLOSURES FOR EASTER, SUNDAY, APRIL 12, IN RESPONSE TO COVID-19
April 6, 2020
Dear Park Guests,
In Los Angeles County and beyond, we are all adjusting to the changes to our daily lives as we collectively fight to “flatten the curve” of the coronavirus (COVID-19). We know that many of these changes have caused disruption in the way we live, work, and play. We also know that parks are vital to the health and joy of our communities in Los Angeles County, and we believe that parks remain a haven, especially during this difficult time.
With the top priority being the health and safety of our park guests, team members, and community, the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation (LA County Parks) continues to assess daily operations and implement precautionary measures in response to COVID-19.
As directed by the County’s “Safer at Home” Order and guidance from State and local officials, we want to remind all park guests that 6 feet of physical distancing is required, and group gatherings are prohibited at all LA County Parks locations.
LA County Parks will close all botanic gardens, lakes, and local, community and regional parks to the public on Sunday, April 12, in an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19. This was a difficult decision as we know Easter is day of celebration for many park guests and fun tradition for LA County Parks. However, the anticipated high volume of visitors would make it impossible for the public to implement safe physical distancing practices or prevent group gathering.
All LA County Parks and Recreation facilities and open space locations are closed on Easter, Sunday, April 12, including:
- All multi-use trails closed until further notice. For a complete list, please see https://trails.lacounty.gov/TrailsList.
- All play and sports amenities closed until further notice. This includes but is not limited to playgrounds, fitness equipment areas, basketball courts, skate parks, baseball/soccer/multi-use fields, tennis courts/pickleball, volleyball, and lawn bowling.
- LA County golf courses are closed until further notice.
- All restrooms are closed for Easter.
- All Botanic gardens are closed for Easter.
- Park buildings & indoor facilities are closed to the public, including indoor gymnasiums, computer labs, multi-purpose rooms, classrooms, aquatics centers/pools, indoor golf facilities & nature centers.
We appreciate your support and understanding as we adapt to this fluid situation. We know that you rely on our programs as consistent and crucial resources. We hope these extraordinary efforts will help with the County and global effort to stop the spread of COVID-19.
We are working closely with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Public Health) to ensure that our Parks community receives credible information and guidance during this challenging time. We encourage you to visit the Public Health website for information and guidance, available in multiple languages, on COVID-19: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact (626) 588-5364 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Norma E. García