“GIRLS WITH DREAMS BECOME WOMEN WITH VISION”
2021 I Matter-Girls Empowerment Conference: Powerful Keynote Speaker. Interactive Workshops & Special Performances
Date: Saturday, October 9, 2021
Time: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Loma Alta Park: 3330 Lincoln Ave, Altadena, CA 91001
Join us during the 7th annual I Matter-Girls Empowerment Conference, where girls with dreams become women with vision. On October 9, 2021 Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation presents a free event where girls ages 12-18 can join live and in-person from Loma Alta Park, Earvin “Magic” Johnson Park, and the Hacienda Heights Community Center. Participants will hear from powerful women innovators, educators, trailblazers and beyond! Girls will have an opportunity to connect with their peers and speakers to feel connected, inspired, and empowered.
LA County Parks is excited to announce teen entrepreneur Mikaila Ulmer
as this year’s keynote speaker at the 2021 Girls Empowerment Conference
SIGN UP TODAY FOR THE I MATTER-GIRLS EMPOWERMENT CONFERENCE
The Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation (LA County Parks) is excited to announce Mikaila Ulmer as this year’s keynote speaker! Ulmer is the founder and CEO of Me & the Bees Lemonade. At the young age of four years old, Mikaila was stung by two bees in the same week. Instead of being upset with the bees, her parents encouraged her to do some research, where she discovered the important role that bees play in our ecosystem. With help from her Great Granny Helen, Mikaila launched her business in 2009.
The 7th annual, I Matter-Girls Empowerment Conference is made possible by the generous support of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, led by its Chair, First District Supervisor Hilda L. Solis, Second District Supervisor Holly J. Mitchell, Third District Supervisor Sheila Kuehl, Fourth District Supervisor Janice Hahn and Fifth District Supervisor Kathryn Barger.
In addition, LA County Parks has added the Girl Power Lunch Party Experience to this year’s conference that will give girls the opportunity to participate in a resource fair, a picnic lunch and a dance party with live DJ! You don’t want to miss this!
Click here for a full event lineup!
This FREE event will offer girls ages 12-18 the opportunity to attend at 3 different locations: Loma Alta Park, Earvin “Magic” Johnson Park and the Hacienda Heights Community Center. Participants will hear from powerful women innovators, educators, trailblazers and beyond! Girls will have an opportunity to connect with their peers and speakers to feel connected, inspired, and empowered. There will be FREE SWAG and tons of activities!
Registration is free and required. Space is limited, so register today!
A preview of the topics that will be covered include:
- Women in Tech: Closing the gender gap to empower women and girls in leading the technology industry
- Step into your Power: Empowering girls and giving them direct access to opportunities for trainings, technical certifications, scholarships, and employment
- Girls and Women with Vision: Making Your Career Dreams Come True
- Pathways to College: A look into College Life and the steps needed to be successful
- Delete the Divide: Empowering girls and giving them direct access to opportunities for trainings, technical certifications, scholarships, and employment.
- Sports & Dance Workshops: Get active and participate in our Basketball, Lacrosse, Hip-Hop or Cheer clinics
The I Matter-Girls Empowerment Conference will kick off on Saturday, October 9, at 10:00 a.m. following an introduction from LA County Parks Director, Norma Edith García-González and conclude at 3:00 p.m.
Transportation will also be provided on a first come, first serve basis at the following locations:
- Castaic Sports Complex: 31320 Castaic Rd., Castaic (pickup at 8 a.m.)
- Jackie Robinson Park: 8773 East Ave., Littlerock (pickup at 8:30 a.m.)
- El Cariso Park: 13100 Hubbard St., Sylmar (pickup at 9 a.m.)
- George Lane Park: 5520 W. Avenue L-8, Quartz Hill (pickup at 9 a.m.)
- Mona Park: 2291 E. 121st, Compton (pickup at 9 a.m.)
- East Rancho Dominguez Park: 15116 Atlantic Ave., East Compton (pickup at 8:30 a.m.)
Last year, over 1,200 girls joined us for the I Matter-Girls Empowerment Conference. Don’t miss out on your chance to be part of this year’s exciting event – register today!
The 2021 Girls Empowerment Conference will adhere to DPR COVID-19 operation guidelines and protocols that includes physical distancing, regular cleaning and the inclusion of PPE for all staff and participants. Because of COVID-19 protocols, all participants must be masked while indoors and physical distancing will be mandated. Parents do not attend the conference as this is an event solely for girls ages 12-18.
For questions, contact LA County Parks at email@example.com or (626) 588-5364.