Universal Waste Systems (UWS) customers in Altadena and Kinneloa Mesa can swap out their non-bear-resistant black, blue, and green waste carts for bear-resistant carts certified by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee at no extra cost through a program offered by Los Angeles County Public Works and UWS. Residents can request a bear cart by filling out the form below.
- Residents who enroll will have their current black, blue, and green carts swapped out with 96-gallon Kodiak branded bear-resistant carts on their regular service day as carts become available.
- People with disabilities and seniors may request roll out service at no additional charge. Seniors with 32-gallon carts may receive 96-gallon carts and retain their senior discount. Smaller-size bear-resistant carts may be available in the future.
- With initial supplies being limited, roll-out will begin in areas with heaviest bear intrusion. The program will gradually expand with cart deliveries made as they become available.
- Traditional carts are easy for bears to open. This can lead to frequent visits and increased bear-human interactions and property damage.
- The bear-resistant carts being offered through this program will latch close to keep bears out but are able to be opened by humans with the press of a lever.
- To learn more about bear-resistant carts, how to sign-up and best practices for storing waste in areas frequented by bears visit lacounty.pw/akm